Monday, March 4, 2013

What Are We Waiting For

In order to make sure we know EXACTLY what we are dealing with I need to have a few scans before I can start treatment.  Dr. T suggested I have a PET scan, head MRI, and EKG before I begin my chemo.  I also have to go to chemo class. 

The PET scan is a scan to show the function of my organs.  This is a full body scan, to my knowledge, and will pick up on any additional tumors in my body.  They use a contrast dye to illuminate anything out of the ordinary.  This scan terrifies me.  Not so much the scan, but what the results might show.  I don't want there to be any other cancer in my body. 

(image: drugline.org)
 

The brain MRI was suggested, but because the tissue expanders have metal in them and an MRI is magnetic I get to do a CT scan instead.  This is great.  Much bigger tube and no Jason hockey mask covering my claustrophobic face.  This is to make sure the cancer isn't in my brain.  Again, scary. 

 
Last I have to get an EKG or ECG (same thing).  This is just a fast little test to show that my heart is healthy because the AC chemo can cause heart failure in patients who may have an underlying heart condition.  
 
Sam and I will also attend a chemo class together.  I'm not really sure what to expect here.  It's given by one of the oncology nurses and I guess she just talks about what will happen during treatment and what I need to do before and after to insure that I feel the best I can.  
 
I should be calling the wig shop or writing thank you notes, but instead I sit here blogging and feeling a bit sorry for myself.  Today is my first day alone alone.  I guess I'm just in one of those valleys that people talk about when they mention peaks and valleys.  I'll get out of it and tomorrow will be a better day.   


No comments:

Post a Comment