Monday, March 4, 2013

The Drains Came OUT

On Wednesday last week I had my post operative appointment with Dr. K the plastic surgeon.  During surgery I had to Jackson-Pratt drains placed.  I had a tube coming out of my ribs under my new "breasts" on each side.  This made it impossible to sleep on my side and made any movement very uncomfortable.  I kept hearing from other people, and mostly my angel Jess, that I would feel so much better when the drains came out.  The out put of the drains had to get down to less than 30ml of fluid before I could have them removed. 

(image:http://www.notasparrowfalls.com/2011/09/jackson-pratt-jp-drains-after-double.html) 

Three times a day my mom or I had to strip the fluid from the drain tubes and empty the contents and measure them.  I had been watching the fluid slowly decrease as I had been home.  I wanted those drains out so bad. 

They had brought me to tears many days because they were so itchy and uncomfortable.  By the weekend I was down to 30ml on the left and about 45ml on the right.  By Monday I was down to 30ml for each.  I told my mom I wasn't leaving that office until he pulled those drains. 

Because of the drains I was unable to take a full shower either.  This was awful.  I wore a cami that was deemed "my suit" that zipped up the front and had a pocket inside for each drain.  Great invention, still didn't make these comfortable. 

When we got to Dr. K's office he asked to see my output log.  He looked at my 24 hour totals and decided both drains would go.  Thank the Heavens!!  With a quick clip of the suture and 1 . . .  2 . . . 3 . . . pull . . . they were out.  It was amazing how much better I felt immediately.  We went over what would happen in terms of expanding during my chemo and when we would do the next stage of reconstruction.  He gave me the lifting restriction of a gallon of milk.  Not a lot, but I can at least help carry the diaper bag now.

No comments:

Post a Comment