Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Day of Tests

My Friday started out bright and early.  Really bright and early for me these days is anything before 10:00am.  I'm still pretty stiff from surgery that getting up and moving takes a while.  The tissue expanders feel really heavy so after laying down for 8 hours, I feel like I've had an elephant  sitting on my chest all night.  My range of motion is improving, but it takes a while to get limber. 

Sam and I had to go to chemo class.  We got a tour of the clinic and treatment rooms and then had to watch a video of the side effects of chemo.  The video was long and boring.  I get why they do it, but with this cancer stuff people seem to repeat and repeat and repeat information.  Sam was pretty impressed with the infusion room.  There is wi-fi, tv, coffee, tea, snacks and massage chairs.  He silently tapped me on the shoulder and asked if he could come to chemo with me every time.  They really do like you to feel at home. 

(image: Google images)
 
I had to wait after the class to get a few labs drawn for the clinical trial and Sam had to get off to work.  I was on my own for the day.  There was really no sense in having Sam wait in waiting rooms all day.  After a quick blood draw I was on my way across the street to the hospital. 
 
I was signed up for a PET scan, CT scan, EKG, and echo.  I headed to the PET scan first.  I really don't feel like I was given enough information about this scan.  It was nice to see a familiar face though.  The gentleman that checked me in was the same person who admitted me on the day of surgery and the rad tech who assisted on my injection prior to surgery was the same person .  Susie the rad tech took me back to get changed into some killer PJ pants.   

(image: be jealous)
 
Ok, ignore my post partum body, but who wouldn't want to document this.  I was taken back to a holding room where Susie started an IV.  Luckily we could leave this IV in all day for my other tests as well.  Susie then brought in the radioactive injection.  She was dressed in hazmat gear, carrying a lead lined box, and a syringe inside a tungsten cover.  Crap--what are they injecting into my vein.  
 
Then I had to sit . . . for 50 minutes.  Yes, you read that correctly, 5-0 minutes.  All that was in my holding room was trashy magazines.  Not bad you think, no? Oh no, these were from June of 2012.  Nearly 1 year ago.  But, the time passed quickly and before  I knew it Susie was back to get me and take to me to the scanner. 
 
The scan itself only lasted about 20 minutes.  The tube was small enough for my claustrophobia, but big enough I didn't have a complete freak out moment.  I made it through test number 1.  Susie, then took me down the hall for my head CT. I was quickly taken back.  I didn't realize how quickly a CT is done.  Not even 5 minutes and the first part was done.  The tech then came in and put the contrast through my IV.  She warned me it would make me hot all over and then make me feel like I was going to pee my pants.  I thought, oh sure, we'll see.  We were having a conversation because we had to wait about 10 minutes for the contrast to absorb in.  All of a sudden, I felt this overwhelming hot feeling and a sudden urge that I had just wet my pants.  Don't worry, I didn't pee myself.  The sensation went away as quickly as it had come on and the tech started the scan again.  About 5 minutes later and I was done with test number 2.
 
Then on to the heart hospital for the remainder of my tests.  The heart hospital is attached, but is a much newer building.  Most was endowed by the Pohlad family who I'm quickly learning is the Trump of Minneapolis.  I was quite early for this appointment so I had to wait quite a while.  Finding humor in the situation, there was a lady in the waiting room sleeping.  Apparently she was very tired. 
 
 
This is the humorous part--her shirt said "No Sleep Til BKLN".  Hey lady, you're only in Minneapolis; WAKE UP!! 
 
I called back for my echo shortly after this photo--and laughing to myself.  The echo was really neat.  I got to see the blood flow and the valves working as the heart pumped.  The EKG lady came right into the room to finish things up.  I think it took her longer to put the leads on than it took to do the test. 
 
I was finally done.  6 hours later.  I was so tired, but Sam and I had a date that night so I hurried to get Camden and head home. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment