Monday, March 4, 2013

The Treatment

I don't htink I had realized how many people were reading this little thing called a blog.  Thank you to each of you.  I need this support.  My heart is low when my mind starts wandering through the maze of cancer thoughts.  

Dr. T layed out the treatments that I will have to kill any remaining cancer cells in my body.  The doctors assume that all the cancer has been ridded of via the surgery, but there could be tiny little cells hanging out in my body ready to attack and we need to kill them.  My breast reconstruction will not go on to the next stage until I am finished with the treatments.  I will still go in for expanding, but the exchange to implants, nipples, and aerola tattoos will come (fingers crossed) later this year.  

I will have 2 types of chemo, followed by radiation, followed by chemo in a pill form for 5-10 years.  The medicines I will have are AC followed by Paclitaxel.  Doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and paclitaxel for long.  The AC will be given first for 4 treatments.  Once every other week for a total of 8 weeks.  I will rest a month then be given the Paclitaxel for the same schedule.  I will rest a month and then be given radiation every day Monday through Friday for 6 weeks. 

Dr. T said the AC will make me lose my hair.  Point blank.  No maybes.  Just, I will lose my hair.  Call me vain, but I hate this.  It makes my cry when I comb through my hair.  I don't know any women who would be ok with this.  I'm too nervous to even call the wig shop.  I can't decide; do I suck it up and wear a cute scarf or get a wig?  The AC will also make me very sick.  It is poison running into my body.  It will turn my urine red for a few days after the treatment and it will make me nauseated.  They do have medicine to combat this, however.  But, ask my mom and Sam.  I hate taking medicine.  I'm kind of a hippy and I like to try natural things.  It's hard for me to realize my body has succumb to needing extensive medical treatment.

The taxel will have far less side effects and over all should be easier on my body.  The radiation will be a cake walk by the time I get to that.  Other than being time intensive, I can more than likely work full time through radiation and do the treatment during my lunch break.  

My selfish question of the conversation was will we be able to have another child when this is done?  There is a 20% chance of my body going into premature menopause.  Dr. T will order a shot of Lupron before my treatments.  There has been research showing this to protect the ovaries during treatment.  This isn't completely proven, but the medicine will not hurt me in any way.  

I will try getting my chemo via IV at first.  I will have the option of having a port placed at any time, but right now I just don't want to go through another surgery.   

After all is said and done I will be on a medication called Tamoifen for 5-10 years.  Right now research is showing 10 years. This is just an oral medication that I have to take every day to suppress the estrogen that fuels my cancer. 

I'm scared.  I feel somewhat defeated.  I don't want to do this.  I have any army behind me fighting and I know you will all lift me when I fall.  

2 comments:

  1. <3. You're so strong Nicole. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can tough it out through the AC Nicole, the rest will be a walk in the park. It's some heavy duty stuff and sometime people get lucky and have few side effects. Good luck, as far as the hair loss goes...you'll have beautiful Chemo Curls when it does finally grow back! There's always light at the end of the tunnel! : )

    ReplyDelete