Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sister Time

My sister, Kristen, goes to school in Wyoming for dental hygiene (brush your teeth people) and had a spring break, so she made the long trek to Minneapolis to visit.  I love having her around.  She is opposite, yet similar to me.  Physically you know we are sisters.  With the Sam nose and stature, but your personalities are very different.  I am very Type A take control and Kristen just kind of goes with it.  She has been there for me when I call her because I miss our brother Jason and she has been there with me to rejoice getting engage, having a baby, and getting into nursing school .  I love her and I am so happy we have each other. 

 
 
She came into town on Saturday and instantly we began our love for gastronomy by going out to eat.  And then a NAP, because seriously doesn't love a good nap.  She would attend church with us and make our weekly Target run with us and then honestly I think we took another nap. 

Monday we started off getting things done.  I needed a wig.  Since I am going to lose my hair I needed something to cover my bald head.  I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable with just a bald head, but I don't know yet if I will be comfortable sporting a scarf or a wig.  We took off to a wig ship in Anoka, but once we got there we realized it was closed on Mondays.  So after a quick Google search we found a place in Har Mar mall that had wigs and other hairloss type stuff.  A little further than I would have liked to drive, but in the end it was worth it. 

We were greeted, by the two cutest middle age women.  There were about three full shelves and then three additional rolls full of all kinds of colors and cuts and textures.  I didn't know where to even start.  The one woman on the phone said "try the opulence, she is prefect for the opulence!"  We sat down and went through wig basics and started trying things on. 

Awful, awful cut

Complete joke

Not too bad, but it wasn't me
 
 
And the winner is . . . . .
 
 
First, please ignore my face.  We were having fun.  If you have seen me recently, this is my hair cut.  When we text it to Sam he had to ask his coworker and my friend Melissa if that was my hair or a wig.  It's so real and looks like it coming right out of my head.  Later in the week we picked up a pretty silk scarf that I will have to play with. 
 
I still need to decide if I'm going to go to the salon and have her do an intermediate cut.  I love my hair, I've always had nice hair, so it's really been emotional for me to go through the thought of losing my hair.  The ladies at the shop got me set up with wig shampoo and conditioner, a wig stand, and a head cap.  I was set!  Overall it was a great experience. 
 
On Tuesday I just had a dental appointment and Kristen had a class conference call (she does some classes through another school for her bachelor's degree) so It was going to a short day.  This was also our brother's birthday, so even though I think we both knew how said we were, we pushed through and got things done.  Kristen wanted to come watch get my teeth cleaned because she is weird and into that teeth stuff--yuck!  But I'm still in the no cavity club.  We then went to lunch at Punch Pizza.  Oh yumm, buffalo mozzarella and san martzano tomatoes and fresh basil, melt my heart.
 
We then decided it was time for some pampering.  Pedicures!!!  Who doesn't like their feet and legs rubbed.  I could care less about the polish, I just like the massage.  Because I don't have any lymph nodes on my right I'm not supposed to manicures.  Kind of stinks, but if I go to a really nice place with sanitized tools I would be ok.  But pedicures are still game.  A couple hours of our time, laughing at the male nail tech hitting on Kristen.  Hilarious. 
 
Wednesday would be her last day here and as we had to planned, we went to the Minnesota Science Museum to see the Body Worlds exhibit.  If you like anatomy and physiology you will love this exhibit.  It is amazing to see the dissection of human bodies down to such a raw form.  The reproductive exhibit is my favorite.  It is neat to see a fetus from nearly conception to full term.  How they grow and develop is truly a miracle. 
 
We ended her trip with dinner at home and a few hugs.  I miss her.  I wish we were closer, but Facetime does wonders. 


No comments:

Post a Comment