Sunday, March 10, 2013

Expansion

Last Wednesday I had a busy day.  Well, busy because the two days prior to that I didn't leave the house because of the snow.  I started my day off with a shower, which is still exhausting to do, but I made it through.  I needed to do my hair because of two reasons.  1) I was going to the plastic surgeon's office . . . in Edina.  I needed to at least try to look presentable 2) because I'm going to lose it soon; I might as well cherish the last few days I have with my blond locks. 

I had a therapy appointment in the morning to work on my range of motion and to learn how to prevent lymphedema.  Lymphedema is localized fluid retention and swelling.  Because I had my lymph nodes removed my body doesn't have a way to remove the fluid and circulate it back to the blood.  I need to continually exercise my arm to make sure the lymph drains and doesn't leave me with an elephant's arm. 

Other than being slightly annoyed with the therapist--seriously, you know what I was being seen for, be prepared--the appointment went fine.  I need to do exercises to regain my range of motion in my arm, shoulder and chest.  I still can't lift my arms very high and I can't put them behind my head.  Not a way I want to be stuck forever. 

After therapy I had a lunch date with the best PA ever.  Lisa and I typically talk ever single day at least once if not more.  So to go nearly three weeks without each other is a long time.  We dined over Red Robin, YUMM and great conversation.  Two and a half hours later and a waitress who really wanted us to leave I had to get going to my plastics appointment. 

It was my first breast expansion.  Jess had counseled my on what it would feel like, but I really had no idea.  The tissue expanders were placed by Dr. K during my surgery.  They are a hard plastic with a metal (magnetic) port in them.  This port is where the further expansions will be put in. 

 
The expanders are placed under the pectoral muscle so the breast does not sag.  I have a permanent built in underwire bra.  Not too shabby, if we are tyring to find the positive in the situation. 
 
 
(image: hopkinsmedicine.org)
 
I went into see Dr. K for what would be a very quick appointment.  Dr. K took out magnet to act as a stud finder.  This finds the port in the expander and tells him where to inject the saline solution. 
 
 
His nurse stood one one side and he stood on the other.  Each injected 50ml of saline solution.  Because I am numb I couldn't feel the needle going in at all, but I could feel my tissue and chest expanding.  It was so odd.  When I was at a different appointment someone related it to when you get your braces tightened.  You go in feeling lose and comfortable and when you leave it feels tight and a little painful.  It was really nothing compared to the past weeks, but it did require a little OTC pain medicine. 
 
I will go back next week for the next 50ml of saline.  Dr. K thinks it will take 3-6 fills to get to where I would want to be.  Size--hmm, I have no idea.  I guess I will just know when it's time to stop.  Because I will be immunocompromised from chemo we will start to spread out my fills to the day before each chemo treatment.  I will reach my stopping point far before I am done with treatment, therefore, I will get to carry these rock hard tissue expanders for about another year when I am done with radiation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment