Thursday, February 21, 2013

The 3 Day Hospital Stay

I was told from the beginning I would be staying 2 or 3 nights for pain control.  This scared me.  We have calcaneus fractures or complex tibia fractures that only stay 1 night for pain control--so what kind of pain would I be in? 

The first night was hell awful.  I had the same nurse every night, Sarah.  With amazing compassion and bed side manner she greeted me about every 30 minutes when I hit the call button.  Not so easy to do when you are given t-rex's arm range of motion.  My pain was out of control and I was so nauseated.  I felt fine after surgery and when I was on my way to my room, but once my clan left, it got out of control.  I was so lethargic from anesthesia and my pain was rating 9 out of 10.  Sarah couldn't get things figured out for me.  I tried my best to stay calm, but I was writhing in bed in pain.  Between IV dilaudid, zofran, and lot of fluids the night felt like it was never ending. 

I finally got a little bit of rest, but of course was awoken by a CNA to check my vitals and empty my drains.  After surgery I was bound up tight in an ace bandage with a drain tube coming out of each side.  These drains will stay with me for nearly 2 weeks total.  I did have the tissue expanders placed by Dr. K so my chest felt like I had just worked out my pecs for about a weeks straight. 

My day nurse Cheryl came in.  Cheryl had a purpose.  She was going to get me out of bed, to the bathroom and out for a walk regardless of how crappy I felt.  There was no laying around on Cheryl's watch.  She told me I needed to talk 4 times.  She made a checklist.  Oh and I love to check things off check lists so I was bound to meet my goal.  I tried to order lunch, yep that didn't go down at all.  I was still so nauseated. 

While on a walk one time, my mom asked, "Do you remember Kristen?" My drugged up response, "of course I remember Kristen, she's my sister you fool."  Reflecting back I think she meant do I remember her coming last night.  Whoops, sorry.

Night time fell again and I was still aiming to head home on Sunday.  The night went horribly a little better.  Sarah was still in my room probably every 2 hours for pain and nausea.  She kept up with my muscle relaxer, the IV zofran and dilaudid.  I was still in quite a bit of pain.  The morning came a lot sooner this time.  My family hadn't arrived yet, but a partner of Dr. DJ came by to see me.  Because I really hadn't eaten anything since the night before surgery, I wasn't going home.  Cheryl came in to strip my drain tubes and help me out of bed for our walk.  I began to sob. 

I felt like crap, I felt like I was beaten with a baseball bat, I couldn't put my own hair up, I could barely wipe when I used the bathroom, and I have impending chemo with a toddler at home.  I was feeling sorry for myself. Cheryl sat down next to me and insured me I will do great.  She listed of statistics, she told personal anecdotes, and told me I had to pull up my boot straps and fight.  Ok Cheryl, I'll do just that.  Help me pee and let's walk. 

Dr. K was back at my room when we finished out walk.  I told him I can't feel this way anymore.  We talked about my meds and switched off the narcotics to ibuprofen.  I took a quick nap and before you know it I felt great.  I actually had something to eat that afternoon.  McDonald's french fries.  YUMM . . . . don't judge.

I didn't have to call Sarah in at all that night.  She just came in to stay on top of my meds and take vitals.  Sleep is still not comfortable, but at least I wasn't awake from pain.  The next morning I was bound and determined to get out of there.  My discharge orders were in, I just needed the final ok from Dr. DJ and I was gone. 

The pain really isn't bad.  It's just a t-rex arm rang of motion and the constant ache in my chest that is hard to deal with.  Randy the nurse pulled my IV, Dr. DJ came in to visit, and my meds were delivered.  I was set FREE!

1 comment: