Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Surgery Day

We drove to the hospital as a group.  My bag of what I thought I would need was packed.  Some sweats, a couple zip up hoodies, make up, clean under wear and socks, and my phone charger.  You know if you google labor and delivery bag you can find umpteen lists and tips.  For fun, I googled mastectomy hospital bag.  Yep, nothing of help.  I guess I would wing this one on my own.  For those interested.  I didn't use any of it while I was at the hospital, just an outfit upon discharge and my phone charger. 

We got to the hospital about a 1/2 hour early.  We were greeted by some friendly volunteers, "Welcome to Abbott Northwestern,  do you know where you are needing to be?"  Umm, no, I mean yes.  Radiology registration is where Christa the surgery scheduler told me to go.  We found our way there, guided most of the way by the greeter.  Next to the spa like Piper building, just down the hall.  We found a quiet waiting room and all nervously played on our phones.  At about 10:00, check in time 10:15, I decided to head down to radiology registration and get checked in. 

I decided to go it alone for this part.  No use towing a party of 3 behind me.  Greeted by a young man in vest he found my charts, I signed some papers and was guided down the hall to another waiting room.  I had to get a radioactive shot in my right breast.  This was going to help guide Dr. DJ to the lymph nodes she would take during surgery.  I prayed that she would stop at the sentinel node. 

I waited in the waiting room for what seemed like forever.  Texting Jess, the breast cancer angel, that I was still waiting and getting nervous.  Sam and my parents were still down the hall.  I was ushered back by a kind nurse to again undress from the waist up and get into a gown.  A quick shot of lidocaine, and then some radioactive  material and I was on my way with my plastic bag of belongings. 

We picked up my crew and went down stairs to the preoperative care center together.  Checking in again and then to wait some more.  I was starving and thirsty.  It wasn't long until they called me back.  I had to go back by myself to get prepped.    Undress fully, put on a paper gown, pee in a cup, get hooked up to an awesome heating thing.  There was this box of lights on the wall, when each person came in they would turn off their light.  I had a CRNA student try to place my IV, yea, that didn't work.  But he tried.  Another nurse came in and got an IV started right away to get my fluids started. 

The doctors came in and marked me up.  I think I stated my name and date of birth and procedure about 50 times.  Sam and my parents came back after my IV was placed.  We took a few pictures, Sam got one last peep show, and the CRNA's came in to discuss what was going to happen when I got to the OR.  The CRNA put some medicine in my IV and off we went.  I think I was out before we hit the OR. 

Once Dr. DJ was done with her part, she went out and talked with my family.  She let them know she took the sentinel node and sent it to pathology.  It came back having cancer so she took all 12 nodes under my right arm.  Dr. Kobienia was in doing his part.  This was not what we wanted to hear.  I will for sure need chemo and depending on what the final pathology says, possibly radiation. 

I finally was brought up to my room around 9:00pm.  Apparently there was an emergency on the floor and the nurses couldn't take me yet.  When I was being wheeled down the hall I heard my baby boy saying "momma."  He had finally said this just a few days before.  Sam leaned him in for a kiss.  Best thing ever.  Once in my room, this girl appeared.  It was my sister--umm, what?  I was so confused.  What was she doing here?  She is in dental hygiene school, she can't miss class!!  It was a surprise that apparently everyone knew about except me.  2nd best thing of the day. 

I don't remember who finally told me the cancer was in my nodes.  I cried.  It's never good when the cancer gets in the nodes.  I didn't want to do chemo, I didn't want to lose my hair, I didn't want to be sick.  Real cancer patients have chemo.  I wanted the surgery to fix everything. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole. I am friends with your Mom and sister and just wanted to let you know that the whole Harper clan is rooting for you! Above all else - remember....YOU CAN DO THIS. I believe it and know it to be true. You come from tough stock. Love and hugs from Montana. Trisha Harper

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((hugs))) Nicole. I am from GPM. I am praying for you and thinking about you often! You can do this! We are all rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name? Dob?... Name? Dob?... Name? Dob?
    It's like Ferris Bueller. Bueller? Bueller?
    Name? Dob?

    ReplyDelete