Sunday, February 24, 2013

Homecoming

I finally got to leave the hospital on Monday, just after noon.  It was so nice to breathe in fresh air and feel the cold.  It was lunch time and my mom and Sam were hungry.  My dad left that morning to beat a snow storm and Kristen had stayed home.  On the way home Sam tried to avoid the pot holes because bouncing in the backseat hurt.  We stopped at Noodles and Company for lunch.  I had my usual; Wisconsin mac n cheese with a Parmesan crusted chicken breast.  I had my first taste of how hard these restrictions would be in the real world.  I could barely get into the booth by myself and I couldn't cut my chicken by myself. 

I'm sure I was a sight to see.  I cut my hair fairly short just before the new year so it was hard to pull back any way, but before we left the hospital I asked my mom to pull it back for me.  She combed it back and I thought she had adhered it with a binder . . . nope.  She then asked Sam for my hair binder and my hair stayed in place.  I guess that's what 3 1/2 days of no washing will do to hair that is normally washed every day.  I was in Sam's sweats and an old college dance team zip up hoodie.  The lady at the table next to us kept staring.  I know it wasn't meant to be hurtful, but I wanted to scream "yes, I have cancer and I just go out of the hospital from cutting off my breasts."  I'm sure it would have made her stop, but I thought keeping my filter was better. 

After lunch we learned my dad was stuck in Fargo for the night because I-94 was closed.  He was more concerned where the Fleet Farm was so he could do some shopping.  We got home, and the firsth thing I did was have my sister wash my hair in the kitchen sink.  Then I found a chair and was ready for some pain medicine.   

1 comment:

  1. Nicole - I am so sorry to hear that you are battling cancer. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. It is so inspiring that you are documenting your fight against this horrible disease.

    Let me know if there's anything we can do for you.

    - Shikha and Mike

    ReplyDelete