Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Photoshoot

Before I even started chemo Sam said he thought that we should get my picture taken of me bald. At first I couldn't even think of that idea.  Why would anyone want to document in a photo the hardest thing emotionally that they have been through? 

The longer I have been without hair the more I become used to it.  I still don't look in the mirror without something on my head or my chest, but I don't mind my scarves and hats.  I only wear my wig to work because it itches and it's hot; and I wear a scarf out in public that matches my outfit; and I wear my comfy hat at home.  Until very recently, I started to go bald around the house because it's just too hot.  I didn't want Sam to see my bald for the longest time and I didn't want to scare Camden with my cue ball head.  

While I was going through AC and hadn't yet been back to work I had the thought that maybe Sam was right (don't tell him I said that).  The scars will show my journey, but I wanted something to show the world that bald can be beautiful.  That chemo isn't sunken in eyes, emaciated frames, and throwing up on the bathroom floor.  Losing your hair means ones thing, it's working.  

I googled local Minneapolis photographers and who wouldn't have known, familiar faces popped up.  I literally clicked on the first link I saw and I recognized the two artists responsible for the site.  Twins, from Moorhead State, that were in the business program with Sam and I.  I emailed them through the "contact us" link and our relationship began.  

Ashley and Jamie of Ash and James Photography had developed a love for the camera after traveling to Asia.  Their knack of style and skill has turned into a career for both of them.  In the email I explained who I was, what I was looking for, and how I knew them.  They jumped to the opportunity whole heartedly.  More than I could ever imagine, their passion was exactly what I was looking for.  

Little did I know, cancer has scarred their lives as well.  About 3 years ago their father passed away after a battle with cancer.  I think in a way, shooting me was telling their story as well.  

We played tag via email about what we were each hoping for and how to execute it.  We met at Ashley's (I think :) ) apartment with stark white walls and lots of character.  We were met outside with a hug from each of them and the excitement no other could match.  The girls got right to work, capturing me in my real and raw feelings.  Simply engaging in conversation about my experience.  After my own photos we headed to the park for some family pictures.  

This is our life, this is where we have been, and we wanted to share it.  Thank you Ashley and Jamie for an amazing job, amazing excitement, and an amazing product.  I couldn't be happier.  So for those who haven't seen the photos via Facebook, here you go.   

The girls placed a nice message on their blog to accompany the sneak peak:
life is intriguing. all in all it’s a beautiful journey. some days are more easily celebrated than others, but the ups and downs and twists and turns all make what we’re here to do seemingly more fulfilling. sometimes you meet people and you take a step back. maybe two steps back. that’s when you realize we’re all in this life together, whether we know it or not. we all meet similar conflicts through our existence, no matter the severity or complexity. we all are given an opportunity to revel in accomplishments and milestones worth noting. it’s safe to say that very few, other than close friends and family, know certain details of both of our lives leading up to our venture into photography. it’s a question commonly asked when we sit down with our couples or as we’re out photographing clients; “so, how did you get into photography?” we simply answer with “travel.” although this is true, it’s rooted into something deeper. it’s the untold story of our bio. just a few months before we set foot onto foreign land to travel, learn, and discover, we lost an important part of what held our lives together. after nearly a two year battle, in 2010, our father passed away from cancer. life as we knew it was forever changed. we could either make that attempt to go back to what was considered “normal,” or take a chance and change life even more by exploring another part of the world. so, with cameras in hand, you know the rest.

every time we’re given the chance to be involved with anyone who has been dealt the cancer card, we’ve been welcoming in being a part of that story. that’s another great perk of this job — it brings you together with the most unexpected of people. nicole contacted us after discovering our website and mentioned that her and her husband attended the same college not only together, but with us as well. after connecting the dots, yes, we have spent days brushing within feet from one another. her story is one that we wanted to be involved with. being under 30, nicole was diagnosed with breast cancer after discovering a lump on her own. she has undergone a double mastectomy and several rounds of chemo. she wanted portraits of her in the now, real and raw, the life as she is enduring it. being married with one little boy, she wanted this stage of her life documented. to be able to tell these stories is so honoring. since we’re better at capturing this through photographs, here’s what we captured. (http://blog.ashandjamesphotography.com/the-rovangs-minneapolis-portrait-family-photography/)

















 
I'm in love with these photos and I will forever cherish them.  And Ashley and Jamie, you are forever hired for capturing our life.  Thank you girls,  a simple thank you is not enough.  

1 comment: