Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Chemo Friend--Sally

I met Sally on my first Taxol.  I awkwardly stared at her across the aisle of the comfy chemo chairs.  You just don't see many young women or men in the chemo room.  I wanted to talk to her, but sometimes I know I come across as waaaaay too friendly and I didn't want to scare her.  It was obviously her first time in the chemo room and she was scared.  I wanted to at least tell her that it's ok and it does get better.  I wanted her to know that we are fighting the same monster and we will both beat it.  I wanted to hear her story, I wanted to share mine.  I wanted her to know that she is not alone.  Young and fighting. 

I kept asking Sam if I should talk to her.  We kept making eye contact.  It was like meeting someone in a bar and I didn't know if I should buy her a drink or not.  My treatment finished up and I was unhooked, so I pulled up my boot straps and got the courage to talk to her.  Who would think me, of all people, would be shy?!

I approached her and just asked if it was her first time.  She said, yes and I told her it would be ok.  We talked about surgery, we talked about our kids, we talked about reconstruction (we share the same plastic surgeon), and we talked about our BRCA diagnoses.  Sally is BRCA 1+ and I am BRCA 2+.  Our genetics, from the time the sperm met the egg have said that we are more likely to suffer from breast cancer and ovarian cancer than the average woman and man.  This diagnoses is our why.  We talked about our faith and how helpful each of our churches have been.  With a promise of prayer for one another, we parted. 

I felt so fulfilled by our meeting.  This was the first person in real life who has been through chemo at my age with young ones at home.  It was someone that I could simply say "this sucks", and she could say, "yes I know." 

I hope that I gave Sally an inkling of hope that day.  I hope that I provided her with a sense of empowerment rather than fear.  I know Sally gave me more than I can explain.  She gave me a sense of community, that I wasn't alone in this.  Our treatments have only coincided a few times because of changes in schedule, but  I am so blessed by Sally and I can't wait to see her on Friday. 

So Sally, my chemo friend, one day our hair will grow back, one day we will have complete breasts, one day we will not have to meet while we are being poisoned, but for now, thank you.  I can't wait for one day when we can meet for lunch. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment