Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chemo #3

I was pretty tender from my port placement and a little tired.  Sam and I had to be there early as usual.  We've made a habit of stopping for breakfast along the way.  Just a little tradition to brighten the day. 

It was the first day using my new appendage, ie my port.  Blood draws are always first, so I was called back quickly.  First, access to the port is gained.  Ok, not fun.  She essentially grabs the port access, which is under my skin and holds it while she sticks in a small needle.  This was very sore being that this skin had just been cut to put the port in the day before.  But, once she finds it, she does one poke and I'm done. 

 
(image: Google images)
 
(image: Google images)
 
The IV line is then attached.  The nurse did a quick saline and heparin flush, which tasted nasty (I then understood why there was a huge jar of Jolly Ranchers on her counter).  She then drew blood and flushed again and sent my on my way.  I picked up Sam out of the waiting room and we went to see Dr. T. 

It was just a normal quick appointment.  The side effects had been a little bit better on round 2 and they are giving me everything they can to combat the effects.  All was well, so we went back to the waiting room to wait for my favorite nurse Caitlyn to call me back to punish me. 

Thanks to a huge breakfast bagel from Brugers on the way to treatment, I had only lost a few more pounds and the staff was ok with it.  I still need to gain, but they were ok for this treatment. 

Caitlyn hooked me up through the IV line and we were started right away.  Don't mind the picture, I was really tired. 

 
Things went smooth and we were headed home before we new it.  Really there isn't too much to report as things went as planned.  3 down, 1 to go.  I really want to quit chemo.  It's hard and I hate feeling sick all of the time.  I hate that I can't make my family dinner, I can barely sit at the table with them because the smells make me sick, and I can't play for long with Camden. 
 
I know that quitting isn't an option because I have a family and there are more people to think about than just myself.  But man, this isn't fun. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment