Thursday, May 16, 2013

Round 2 Cycle 1-Taxol and Leah Peah

Everyone has been telling me how Taxol would be easier.  My only response; I'll believe it when I see it.  After all I had been through with the AC I was just hoping to feel better so I could continue working and not just feel like I was wasting away on the couch while watching 4 hours of Bones every day. 

Sam and I stopped for our traditional breakfast at Brueggers that morning.  We decided to dine in this time because we had the time.  While we were sitting there minding our own business, a random lady approached the table. 

Random lady: Pardon me, Keep fighting the awesome fight.  You're amazing.  (all while handing me something)

I looked down to a gift card with the same message.  I don't know who you are lady or how cancer has impacted your life, but thank you.  Thank you so much.  It is people like you that remind me there is good in this world and there is support even when you aren't looking. 

Sam and I arrived to chemo on our usual Friday morning.  It was the last day of nurse's appreciation week, so I brought gifts for my 3 nurses at the office.  We saw the NP this time and talked about how the last AC went and what to expect with Taxol.  I had been feeling so great.  I had gone back to work and I really wasn't looking forward to endless days and nights of not feeling well. 

(poem found on pinterest)

We drew labs from my port and had my exam.  The findings from the labs showed that I am severely anemic and am close to needing a blood transfusion.  I'm hoping since I feel better I can just eat an iron rich diet and avoid that; also, they say it should improve with the Taxol.  This could be why I'm so exhausted all of the time. 

After the simple exam and talking with my research nurse, Sam and I were ushered back to the infusion room.  I learned my usual chemo nurse Caitlyn was no longer working, her little baby girl was trying to come early so she is now at home on bed rest.  I was so bummed.  Caitlyn has been with me through me entire chemo journey thus far and I felt like she was my security blanket.  She was my comfort zone. 

Her friend and also expecting, Hali, would be my nurse today.  Kind and quiet in demeanor I knew I was in good hands. We went over all of the side effects again and I signed my consent.  Benadryl is one of the pre meds for the Taxol, I don't remember the last time I have taken a Benadryl so I had no idea how I would react.  Taxol can create a reaction in a lot of patients so I was armed with a bell in case I became short of breath and panicky--umm that's enough to create panic.  Once the Benadryl started flowing we soon saw how it affected me.  I was out cold.  Sleeping.  I slept through the whole treatment and we didn't need to use the bell. 

No picture this time.  Sorry, I was out within about 5 minutes of the infusion starting.  I woke up just as the Taxol was finishing and Sam and I were on our way. 

I felt good and normal.  This was not normal.  I was so scared of what the side effects would be.  My cousin was coming into town for the Race for the Cure and we were hoping to meet up for dinner.  And . . . . great news!  I felt great, so we could!!

We met up with Leah Peah (yes, we're both 29 and I still affectionately call her this) and her four boys, Austin, Andrew, Alex, and Ashton.  We had a nice quiet dinner and I ate a steak and potatoes.  Clearly I had a craving to knock that anemia to the curb!  Leah had driven for 14 hours and I was tired so we parted ways after a great dinner and a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment