Saturday, January 26, 2013

The 2nd Worst Day of My Life

January 21~
After finding a lump in my breast in the shower, I made an appointment with the midwife who delivered Camden.  She "felt me up" and said though she thought it was normal breast changes and normal breast tissue, she was going to send me for an ultrasound just to make sure.  I left that appointment and went on my way. 

On January 21 I entered the breast center.  A place where no 28 year old should be anyway, but that was made apparent by the stares and whispers I got while waiting for my ultrasound.  K, the radiologic technologist did my scan.  About 2 minutes into the scan she asked if I could stay to do further testing, but the radiologist would determine for sure.  With a quick touch of the probe, Dr. A determined I would need a biopsy.

Needle biopsy; needle my ass--we are calling that tool the boob harpoon.  Five core samples were taken and sent to pathology and I should have my results by the next day. 

The first time I cried through the whole process was when I went upstairs to see my coworker and confidant L.  I was scared.

January 22~
Officially the 2nd worst day of my life.  What's the first you ask?  Getting the call from my dad telling me my brother Jason had died in a motor cycle accident.  I thought my family had lived through enough hell, but I guess there was more in store for us. 

About 10:00am, I received a call from the midwives.  Midwife K said my results had come in, they were significant, and I needed to come to the office right now with my husband.  I hung up the phone and immediately burst into the Oprah Ugly Cry.  I called Sam and rushed out of work.  I cried, I told him I was scared and pure Sam fashion he told me we would get through this. 

We met at the midwife's office where we were immediately taken to an exam room.  Midwife K held my hand and said "Your results have come back, and you have cancer."

Officially the 2nd worst day of my life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment